Title: Horticulture & Nursery Maintenance Specialist
Classification: Regular, Full-time, Non-Exempt
Company: Wildwood Garden Shoppe & Nursery
Wildwood Garden is a retail nursery located in the town of Shalimar, FL. We are looking for horticulturists, botanists, skilled gardeners, and plant enthusiasts for our 2022 gardening season. If you have an eye for detail, love plants, and take pride in your work, join our team and see what it’s like to love your job!
The Horticulture & Nursery Maintenance Specialist is a physical position, and the candidate must be a self-starter. The specialist assists customers with questions related to our nursery plants and products, while working in a fast-paced environment. The ideal candidate must be reliable, flexible, organized, detail oriented and a positive team player. This position provides the initial contact to visitors at the nursery, as well as visitor communication and service in the nursery areas.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist customers with nursery, garden, boutique, plant and landscape purchases
- Load customer vehicles with plants and bulk material
- Work includes the responsibility for the safe and proper use of standard landscape and nursery equipment, hand tools, light power driven equipment, trucks and other landscape-oriented equipment
- Operate company trucks with attached utility trailer (driving duties for selected candidates only)
- Sweep, rake, shovel, care for plants (prune, deadhead, hand-water, repotting, pricing/tagging), blowing debris and leaves from walkways, and making sure appropriate signs are put out
- Spray and maintain weeds
- Unload delivery trucks, trailers, and semis
- Maintain neat and safe nursery areas to include the back area and maintaining building cleanliness
- Assist with deliveries or installations as needed
- Other duties as needed or requested
- Able to read and write legibly
- Must possess basic mathematical skills; a strong eye for detail; and good verbal and written communication skills
- Able to work required shift hours/days, including Monday to Friday
- Must have reliable transportation to get to and from work, and a valid State issued driver’s license if driving company vehicles
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is frequently required to walk; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include color vision and depth perception.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions and fumes or airborne particles. The employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts; toxic or caustic chemicals and risk of electrical shock. Wear appropriate uniform for expected weather conditions.
Horticulture experience is preferred
Knowledge of insects/pests, drainage & soil types, and an extensive knowledge of plants is preferred for this position, but we are willing to train the right candidate.
1-week paid vacation after 90 days of employment
Can be utilized for consecutive days in off-season: January – March, or used as sick days as needed
Tuition Reimbursement for approved relevant courses
Professional Development Assistance
Monday – Friday, 8am-5pm
Weekend/event availability as needed
High school or equivalent (Preferred)
Send us a message to apply!
Or email your resume over to firstname.lastname@example.org